- Exact etiology is unknown.
- 80% of patients have positive family history. Identification of a chromosomal abnormality has been confirmed in familial hemiplegic migraine.
- It appears to be a genetically-linked neuronal disease with vascular disruption as an epiphenomenona of underlying neurochemical disruption.
- Serotonin and norepinephrine metabolism abnormalities may play a role.
- Neurogenic inflammation and regional disruption of cerebral and/or extracranial blood flow may explain some clinical features.
Tension, cluster & mixed headaches have different mechanism and etiologies, please refer to other sources due to limited space here. However, acupuncture do deliver quick relief due to all 3 kinds of headaches and has been widely recognized.